Thursday, July 06, 2006

"...as we always belong forever to people who have hurt us badly, or been badly hurt by us."
-Lost Hearts in Italy, By Andrea Lee

I was reading Oprah's summer book list this morning and came across this title by Andrea Lee. I stopped to read more about it, simply because I am out of school until mid-August and I want to read books that I simply enjoy, nothing too heavy. This sounded like something that fit that description: Italy-romance and mystery; Lost Hearts-love and loss; and great cover artwork. But as I read about this book, which is the story of a woman who cheats on her husband with another man, loses both men, remarries and then thinks about her lover and her ex, I came across this quote from the book. Though my interest in the book began to subside, my interest in this quote grew.

Do we forever belong to the people who have hurt us badly, or who have been badly hurt by us?

In love, have I hurt someone so badly that they still think of me and vice versa? Is it always hurt that makes us think about past relationships and matters of the heart? I don't have the answers for these, but they're all questions that are on my mind.

How does the past affect your present and your future?

1 comment:

Mia said...

The answer is Yes, or that's my opinion anyway. I think the truest lessons in life come with a bit of a broken heart. A heart that you break yourself (your own or someone else's) or your heart which can be broken by all kinds of things in life, love, loss, disappointment, do those hurts and those that we cause and that we received stay with us? I think so, the only hope is to look for the lesson in the hurt and take that lesson into the future.

I think I'd like to read the book so, I will. M